Our Focus:
Protecting the Family, Minimizing the Damage

Backed by 15+ years' experience, we provide innovative services to protect the family from damage and trauma as much as possible. When necessary, we aggressively protect our clients’ best interests in court.

Contact Carrie

Columbia Visitation Lawyer

The Time You Spend with Your Child Matters

In South Carolina, the non-custodial parent has visitation rights, which are usually decided during child custody arrangements. The courts encourage both parents to be active participants in their child's upbringing, as this is integral to their healthy development. When children grow up spending quality time with both parents, they are often better off mentally, emotionally, and physically.

In some cases, the children's preferences may be taken into consideration when creating a visitation plan. This also depends on the child's perceived maturity, judgement, and age.

If you have any questions regarding your visitation rights and how they fit in with South Carolina family law, don’t hesitate to contact our Columbia-based visitation attorney. We will walk you through the process and help you take the necessary steps for you and your child.

Even if the custodial parent is not receiving child support payments, he or she still cannot deny the other parent the right to visitation. A refusal to allow visitation can result in court-ordered punishments. Visitation is only denied in cases where a parent poses a risk to the safety of the child.

Talk to our Columbia visitation attorneys about your visitation plan.

Reaching Reasonable Visitation Plans

At Carrie Warner, Attorney at Law, we recognize that every family is unique, which is why we strive to deliver customized visitation plans that work for your family. We take the time to understand your family's dynamics and schedules, and work towards a plan that both parents can be happy with.

We can help you develop a thorough and effective visitation plan that takes into consideration:

  • Parenting time during the week, holidays, and school vacation breaks
  • Whether visitation should be supervised
  • Logistics during visitation

Supervised Visitation in South Carolina

A type of visitation that could be implemented in South Carolina is "supervised visitation". This is when a neutral 3rd party supervises a parent’s visit with the child. These types of visitation orders are used in cases when 1) the child might not be safe in that parent’s care, and 2) it is still in the child’s best interest to have contact with that parent.

Oftentimes, there are costs associated with a supervised visitation since the 3rd parties or agencies that oversee the visit charge a fee. The parent who is under supervision will need to cover these expenses.

Furthermore, these types of visitation orders are often temporary. They’re placed on a case by case basis when needed, but if the judge determines that the child is safe with the parent unsupervised, then the order for supervision could be lifted.

Call Carrie Warner, Attorney at Law for Trusted Guidance

We want what is best for your child and his or her long-term development. In the event your visitation plan needs to be modified, our Columbia visitation attorneys can also assist in helping you petition for modification and creating a new plan for your family.

Contact our team at (803) 994-8171 to discuss your visitation needs and requests.

Contact Us

Get in Touch Today